Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Welcome to 2018!


Hello friends!

And just like that... 2017 is in the past. And 2018 is now before us.

I asked my brother-in-law which day was most depressing - December 26 or January 2. He felt like January 2 was fairly brutal because that's when most people go back to work. Jury is still out for me - I'm leaning towards December 26. So much hoopla to get to Christmas and then with a snap of the finger, its over.

But alas... we made it to today. And I would have to say... January 1 felt nice. It felt like... a fresh start.

2017 was not one of those years that I'll look back at and think, "MAN! That was a CLASSIC year!"

We did have some big things happen that I'll never forget (i.e. Sloane graduating from Kindergarten, selling a house/apartment living/buying a house (or attempting to repeatedly), moving to Chicago, birthdays, new school, Reece started Kindergarten...), but there were a lot of things that I'd rather not remember.

And we wrapped it up by saying goodbye to my grandma Dean. I need to take a second and thank all of you that reached out to me and my family - I received lots of messages, lots of reads on my last post, cards in the mail... and I'm so grateful for all of it! So thank you -- it was really, really hard, despite having really lost her many years ago (suck it , Alzheimers)... to actually have to say a forever goodbye was rough.

But seeing my family, reminiscing on the many, many memories and pictures helped bandage that wound. I'm incredibly lucky in that regard!

So January 3, 2018... it's that time of year when we set New Years resolutions that we say we will not break and then three weeks later... AHEM.

Or is that just me?!

I try not to set myself up for failure by making my goals not that hard to achieve.

Last year, it was to be a nicer person.

Shouldn't be too hard, right?!

Ehhh... I kicked it into gear mid-November.

Always. 
This year?

Budgeting. Being smarter with money. Finding something I'm really good at and trying to turn it into a job.

I mean, those sound realistic, right?!

I'd love to know any and all tips and tricks to how you all budget. I honestly have never had to budget. This doesn't mean I go and shop for fun all the time. In fact, I almost never shop for fun or for myself. But I am one of those Target shoppers that goes for groceries, and leaves with 10 extra things like cupcakes, coke and another air freshener.

Those were not on the list.

I'm also keeping track of what I spend on our credit card. Sometimes, it has to be used. But I'm really pushing myself to only use it on those 'has to be used' times. So I don't have to have conversations about money.

If my husband and I have downfalls in our marriage, it is lack of communication and talking about money. I HATE talking about money. Like anytime he even brings something up that has anything to do with money, my stomach gets in knots, I'd rather be barfing or sitting in the 20-degrees-below-zero weather for 15 minutes with no coat on.

Is this just me? I am 100 percent sure that if I had a job that was bringing in a steady income, this wouldn't be my feelings. And it ALL comes back to Mom Guilt 101 (please see my above resolution on finding something I'm good at and turning it into a job).

So seriously - light me up with how you guys ... do it all?!

I'll take all of the help I can get!

Happy 2018 to all of you! Here's to a new year, a fresh start and a better me. And you. :)

XXOO,
Allyson

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top