Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Never-Ending Car Debacle


When my husband was in college, he drove a min-ivan.

It had been his parent's before he acquired it... and was sent straight to him from 1992.

He loved it! It hauled around LOTS of people. The seats could easily be taken out to fit even more people (totally illegal and I'm certain he probably never did anything illegal in that van). I'm certain he slept in it on a few occasions and hauled around God knows what...

But he loved it!

He shared the mini-van love with my best friend, who also drove around her parents minivan in college.

I, on the other hand, did not drive a mini-van in college. I drove a small four-door white Pontiac Grand-Am. And I put many miles on it driving to see my mini-van loving man.

Fast forward 11 years and it's like time had not passed one iota. We were two kids in to marriage and were looking for a bigger vehicle. There was basically no discussion because to Matt, a mini-van was the only way to go!

(Though I had to remind him that this mini-van would not probably serve the same purpose as his did in college, except for hauling many people around. That, we would still be doing!)

So. I got a brand new white Honda Odyssey.

I can't lie. It was a beaut. Almost spaceship like.

And a total mom car.

Van moment.
These bad boys are made for moms: sunshades on the windows, a mirror to see everything going on in the back, space, space and more space.

And yet, it was still a mini-van! I know that without a doubt, when I drive by, I am in a mom car. No, this is not a bad thing, but a stigma that I just want to hurl out the window.

But it still leaves me wishing for a non-mom car.

After only three and a half years in the trusty steed, we have managed to put over 87,000 miles on it. Call us crazy or call us travelers... but since we have lived nowhere closer than three hours to family since the kids were born, we've put many miles behind us to make sure we get to see everyone!

Despite it being a Honda and that there's a chance it will run until it hits the 250,000 mile mark (which means we'd have it for atleast six years), we discussed that before it gets to 100,000 miles, we possibly look for at buying a new(er) vehicle.

In Matt's words: "Maybe a Tahoe, another van..." See. The man can't give it up!


I don't plan on getting another van. Despite how wonderful it has been to us, I will be ready to move on to the next stage of life vehicle.

But what should that be?!

Matt has had two Tahoe's in his short 36-year-life and the last one he had, I wasn't a big fan. I liked the overhead DVD player... but that was about it!

And also, I don't know if a Tahoe will fit us or fit us for very long? At some point, our goal is to live maybe 15 minutes from family rather than 10 hours so we don't plan on putting 87,000 miles on a vehicle in three years again. So the traveling long distances, packing big bags and strollers, won't be us forever!

So maybe the Tahoe would be OK?
I also mentioned a Suburban. Matt's take is that it's too big. My take is that it's the halfway point between a Tahoe and a van. 
Others that have been brought up: 

Buick Enclave -- My parents have it and I love it... but it's a Buick. My parents aren't old enough for a Buick so I can't call it an "old person's car" ... but Buick has a stigma attached to it like a van does.

New Chevrolet Traverse -- I had researched these before we got our Ford Edge (we've had lots of cars) and wasn't a fan when I drove it... but the new version looks snazzy!).

Toyota Sequoia -- I LOVE these, but gas mileage is also a big deal to me and these are gas guzzlers I believe!

So now is when I'd love feedback! You all were fantastic when it came to mascara and eye-makeup remover. Surely you're just as great with cars, right?! ;)

Leave me a comment and let me know anything you got on family vehicles for five!

XXOO,
Allyson

2 comments :

  1. As my friend with three kids said...a Tahoe is almost too small! You need storage space BEHIND all that other riding space. So go Suburban, my friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love our Honda Pilot! It has all the fun things your van boasts (window shades, mirror to the back, DVD player, etc. but it's easier on the ego of a non-van-loving lady. ;) ) It's low enough to the ground to be easy to get into for kids like a van, but doesn't feel like it sits low when I drive it. We have three in the back seat and I leave the optional third row folded down most of the time so I can take my full-sized stroller everywhere we go. It also has a [modest amount of] cargo stowage - not big enough for a suitcase, but extra-big picnic blanket, several towels, a few cases of pop and our lunch when we go to the beach fits nicely!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top